"A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."
~George Moore

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Letterpress Workshop

I attended the letterpress workshop this morning at Hound Dog Press! It was fantastic. We printed 10 postcards using anything we could imagine as our designs. I also spoke to Nick and Robert the owners and operators at the press about interning in the winter. I hope that my schedule works out and I am able to.

I printed my designs on several different colored sheets.

neutral

 brown

 yellow

 green

teal

 back

Lighthouse Imagery and Symbolism:
Let's take a second to consider what a lighthouse is. The American Heritage Dictionary tells us that it's a "tall structure topped by a powerful light used as a beacon or signal to aid maritime navigation." So, metaphorically speaking, a lighthouse is a beacon. It's something people who are lost can look towards for guidance. And it's a "tall structure" – a big, solid, unmoving structure. But that powerful light? It does move. When the night falls, it flashes on, and when the sun rises, it shuts off. So a lighthouse works as both a symbol of stability (as a beacon) and of change (as its lights go on and off with the turning of the day).

No comments:

Post a Comment