"A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."
~George Moore

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Literary Influence

Unexpectedly my blog has recently taken a literary turn. I've been doing a fair amount of soul searching. Thinking has been a large part of this soul searching but even more than that reading other peoples words, thoughts, poems, stories, etc. has been majorly influential.

Finding different ways to define myself has been a recent interest. Discussions about which deadly sin and holy virtue I fit into. What favorite colors can say about people.

My Seven Deadly Sin: Envy
My Seven Holy Virtue: Temperance

In my search for inspiration I came across an old favorite book of mine. Freedom WritersReading about the lives and struggles of strangers always puts things into perspective for me.

In the book Freedom Writers the story is told of a teacher who truly, wholeheartedly cared about her students, recognized their difficult lives and their struggles and helped them through adolescence. She shows them other people their age who have struggled right along with them. such as Anne Frank, Zlata Filipovic.


Through these stories, the students found solidarity and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment